The Nation's Favourite Elvis Songs 2 CD Set by Elvis Presley [Deluxe Edition]
Elvis Presley changed the music world forever and was one of the most significant cultural icons of the 20th century. He holds the record for Most Hit Singles on the US Chart and Most Hit Albums on the UK Chart, and his legacy continues to influence generations. Mixing rich archive footage and home videos with new interviews, the documentary paints a picture of the man behind the music, telling the story of how these timeless songs came about and what impact they had on the world. The show features different generations of international pop stars and musicians influenced by Elvis including Michael Bublé, Sir Cliff Richard, Suzi Quatro, Michael Ball, Englebert Humperdink and Cerys Matthews.
Priscilla says: 'When Elvis sang a song that he loved, he'd get lost. He'd forget people were around. You're witnessing a moment, you almost feel like you're invading his privacy'.
Sir Cliff Richard admits: 'It wasn't just that I wanted to be like Elvis, I wanted to wake up and find I was Elvis'. Global superstar Michael Bublé said: 'God kissed his throat, truly'. Musical theatre star Michael Ball said: 'No one makes a party rock like Elvis'.
The programme also hears from those who worked with Elvis, from songwriters to backing singers and session musicians. The documentary ventures into Elvis' former home in Memphis, Graceland, following in the footsteps of nearly 20 million visitors, to see how popular the King remains to this day.
The countdown, narrated by Zoe Ball, includes:
- Heartbreak Hotel, the song that John Lennon, Sir Cliff Richard, and Keith Richards all cited as changing their life
- Hound Dog, the hit that gave him the nickname ‘Elvis the Pelvis'
- Jailhouse Rock, which is often cited as the birth of the pop video
- Always on My Mind, which has been recorded 300 times by the likes of Willie Nelson and Pet Shop Boys
- It's Now or Never, which sold 20m copies worldwide and topped the UK charts for eight weeks
- A Little Less Conversation, the song that became a global sensation 25 years after his death, giving Elvis his 18th British number one, allowing him to overtake The Beatles as the act to top the UK charts most often.
The 20 classic Elvis tracks featured in the show have been selected in consultation with the Elvis Presley estate, based on record sales, cultural impact and significance in Elvis's career. The order was voted for by a large, representative panel of ITV viewers from across the country.
All the songs from the programme are on this brand new compilation album, ‘The Nation's Favourite Elvis Songs'.
1. Suspicious Minds
2. Always On My Mind
3. Love Me Tender
4. In the Ghetto
5. Viva Las Vegas
6. Jailhouse Rock
7. Hound Dog
8. Blue Suede Shoes
9. All Shook Up
10. Are You Lonesome Tonight?
11. The Wonder Of You
12. It's Now Or Never
13. Don't Be Cruel
14. Heartbreak Hotel
15. If I Can Dream
16. An American Trilogy
17. King Creole
18. Return To Sender
19. A Little Less Conversation (JXL Remix)
20. Can't Help Falling In Love
1. (Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear
2. (Now and Then There's) A Fool Such as I
3. Hard Headed Woman
4. Burning Love
5. She's Not You
6. (You're The) Devil in Disguise
7. Good Luck Charm
8. (Marie's the Name of) His Latest Flame
9. Wooden Heart
10. Way Down
12. Stuck on You
13. A Big Hunk O' Love
14. One Night
15. Crying in the Chapel
17. I Just Can't Help Believin'
18. Too Much
19. Promised Land
20. Guitar Man
22. Suspicious Minds
23. Are You Lonesome Tonight?